Everyone has different demands on their lives – some people spend hours on their feet, so a pedicure is an ideal self-care treatment, while others enjoy the simple pleasure of sleeping in on weekends. This Sunday is International Self-Care Day which is aimed at promoting the long-term benefits of a healthy lifestyle . This can revolve around areas such as health, mental wellness, physical activity, healthy eating, good hygiene and risk avoidance.
Focusing on self-care around physical wellness, here are 10 of the most opulent spas in South Africa:
- Mount Nelson Cape Town – Set in the vibrant heart of Cape Town, The Mount Nelson’s spa has a steam bath, Finnish sauna, plunge pool and a conservatory with a herbal tea selection. If you have little ones with you, don’t worry because the spa offers a children’s club, free of charge.
- Four Season Spa at The Westcliff – When world-famous celebrities visit Johannesburg, they often stay at the Four Seasons. Their spa has a variety of treatments including one called Journey through Africa, where rich, plant-based oils and botanicals are used to buff and soothe your body, followed by a mineral-rich embalmment and herbal poultice massage. The Four Seasons also prides itself in having the only outdoor spa lounge in Johannesburg – at the Aprés-Spa.
- Vivari Hotel and Spa by Mantis – is nestled in a valley in Featherbrooke near the Cradle of Humankind in Gauteng. At Vivari Spa, medicine meets wellness – they specialise in pre-surgery treatments that prepare you for operations, as well as post-surgery treatments to assist with recovery and prolong the effects of certain procedures. If the dimpling around your thighs and buttocks has prevented you from wearing that bikini, try the Velashape treatment, which promises to banish cellulite in one of three treatment packages. Prices start at R1 250 for a 60-minute session.
- Karula Spa – Situated inside the Kapama Karula Private Game Reserve in Limpopo, it is considered to be one of the finest safari spas in Africa. The Karula Spa is surrounded by glass, creating an intimate, relaxing connection with the bushveld scenery. Deepen your relaxation with therapy packages, such as the Kapama Marula Sensual Steam two-hour treatment or the Unearthed Haven treatment which is two and half hours long. Full therapy treatment packages cost about R2 940.
- The Spa at Oyster Box – The hotel is steps away from the Indian Ocean and the golden sands of Umhlanga Beach in KwaZulu-Natal. The Spa at Oyster Box has a holistic approach to wellness, with vitamin-packed smoothies, yoga and an array of full-body treatments. Ease away stress in the plunge pool before making a selection from the signature packages, including steam treatments in the traditional hammam and full-body massages using crystal-infused oils.
- Saxon Spa – Prepare to be greeted by cascading water features and a signature fireplace at this Johannesburg spa. It has everything you can think of, from facials, manicure bars, a pedicure lounge and a fitness centre to body massages. All treatments begin with a mindfulness exercise with your spa therapist, setting the tone for the ultimate mind and body relaxation. Prices vary from R840 to R2 400, depending on the duration of your massage.
- The Spa at Fancourt – This award-winning spa near George on the Garden Route offers holistic body and skin treatments. Guests can make use of facilities such as the Roman bath and jacuzzi; sauna; steam room and tepidarium. The tepidarium has heated seats which gradually elevate the body’s temperature to improve circulation and promote deep relaxation.
- The Twelve Apostles Spa – Surrounded by the natural beauty of the Table Mountain National Park, while looking out across the Atlantic Ocean, the Twelve Apostles Spa promises a tranquil, rejuvenating experience. It has all the usual treatments but the Rasul Chamber deserves a mention. This involves a traditional Arabic cleansing ritual using gentle steam and mud, which is self-applied to the body, hair and face. Heat dries the mud and allows it to draw out impurities from the body.
- Lanzerac – Positioned in the idyllic Jonkershoek Valley on the outskirts of Stellenbosch, the Lanzerac Estate boasts dramatic views of mountain ranges, endless lush vineyards and hectares of gardens shaded by giant oak trees. Guests can select from a range of treatments – including facial therapies, massages and ancient Rasul rituals – to rejuvenate both mind and body. A 45-minute Rasul treatment costs about R595.
10. Londolozi Healing House, on the edge of the Kruger National Park, is a pioneer in luxury safari wellness retreats, helping to facilitate transformational experiences with self-care. Through their luxury wellness safaris and retreats, the spa has partnered with leading wellness experts, life coaches, wisdom keepers and shamans to craft experiential learning spaces that accelerate awakening while on a safari experience.