Learning Management Systems
D2L Brightspace Update Adds Video Tools, Collaboration Features
Education technology company D2L has introduced a number of tools and enhancements for its Brightspace learning management system designed to boost collaboration and learning. Many of the updates build on feedback submitted in the company’s Product Idea Exchange, an online community where users can share and discuss product and feature ideas and vote on those they would like to see developed.
Recent updates include:
- In the Discussions module, users can utilize @mentions to notify others when they’re mentioned.
- Enhancements to the Portfolio module enable evidence of learning to be linked to one or more courses. A flag icon draws attention to new items, and instructors get a count of how many new pieces of evidence are ready for review.
- A new Brightspace Parent & Guardian app for Apple and Android devices gives parents and guardians access to learners’ classroom activities, shared Portfolio items, feedback and grades.
- Adaptive streaming technology takes into account device and bandwidth limitations, so that users can view videos on any device without interruption.
- Automatic captioning and video search capabilities allow users to pinpoint exactly where terms are referenced in videos.
- Users can now upload large and high-definition video files
- A chapters function for video editing enables creators to highlight key sections.
- User profiles can now include pronouns or have pronouns turned off individually.
- New Courseware Subscription Services provide access to content design support.
- A Course Publisher tool allows instructors to share a course by publishing it into another standards-compliant LMS.
“COVID-19 disruptions have had a devastating and potentially enduring impact on young learners, especially those who were already facing challenges. That’s why we’re investing in new features to enhance Brightspace for educators, learners and families,” commented John Baker, president and CEO of D2L, in a statement. “As we move forward as a newly public company, we’ll continue to make everyday tasks faster and workflows smarter. This will benefit everyone in our learning communities — our graders, content creators, educators, learners and those that support them — in education and in the workforce.”
For more information, visit the D2L site.